Hi Class and Prof!
Here is my research on the American beer brand Coors Light. Hope you enjoy!
Coors Light is an American light pale lager brand with a deep history. The brand’s roots can be traced back to over 140 years ago, to its founder, Adolph Coors. Adolph had a deep passion for making the best beer with the best quality ingredients. Following his quest to brew quality beer, Adolph Coors built his first brewery in Golden, Colorado, and used the superior quality of the water in the nearby Rocky Mountain springs in his brewery process.
In 1978, this American lager was officially born. Coors Light applies its cold-stage brewing process throughout the country. Always lagered, filtered and packaged at the edge of freezing for its signature clean, crisp taste and ice-cold finish.
Today, Coors Light is one of leading beer brands in America, capturing over 1000 million in sales in the United States, second only to Bud Light, with Miller Lite and Budweiser. However, in recent years, the brand has a sign steady decline of its sales and its brand image and messaging growing tiresome and unappealing to its target audience.
The research looks to identify the strategies the brand can use to reinforce its ‘ice cold and refreshing rocky mountain’ brand image and create a strong brand association with the “conquering of personal mountains” in a contemporary way that is relatable to the brand’s target market.
- Tracking of Coors Light’s Facebook, Instagram and Youtube from 23 February to 8 March
- Tracking of Heineken and Budweiser’s Facebook, Instagram and Youtube from 23 February to 8 March
Analysis and Findings
- Drop in 1500 followers on its Facebook page, with a very minimal percentage increase in followers on Instagram and Youtube
- Coors Light lack of any updates on the brand’s Instagram and Youtube platforms
- Strength in engaging in two-way communications with followers
- Infrequent and irrelevant content
- Low engagement rates (i.e. likes, comments, shares)
- Competitors strength in creating brand stories
#MyMountainIs Hashtag Campaign
Encouraging consumers to create and share their own interpretations of the brand’s messaging of conquering personal trials and tribulations by filling in their own phrase after the hashtag. This approach would help to build a community of like-minded Coors Light drinkers who share similar aspirations and personal values.
With the increase demand for brand storytelling, this approach will use eye-catching brand videos and the hashtag #BornInTheRockies to convey the rich history of the brand, its unique and enduring attributes as an American lager. Brand videos can include the behind the scenes of an employees working and brewing beer.
With the suggest strategies, Coors Light would hopefully be able to increase awareness and personal associations with the brand’s identity and its core message, and to increase its engagement on said social media platforms.